TRAVELING BY AIR W/ FULL AEG ARSENAL

mossad
soldier

TRAVELING BY AIR W/ FULL AEG ARSENAL

Post by mossad »

: any experienced traveling by commercial airline bringing AEG arsenal..to OpsIrene...pls let me know....

thanks much

Spider
soldier

Post by Spider »

TEAM E.C.H.O.
www.echo-airsoft.com

OPNW-IV Chief of Staff

mossad
soldier

re:

Post by mossad »

thanks so much all.....for the great and very informative info, appreciate it.....hope to see you in OPs Irene VI....!

MacFelon
soldier

Post by MacFelon »

I've flown many times with mine. I declare them as firearms, and everything goes fine.

axraupp
soldier

Post by axraupp »

One of our guys recently got stopped in the airport carrying an airsoft battery. The airport police knew what it was but the TSA guys confiscated it.

Don't carry-on airsoft batteries. Make sure they are in your checked luggage. I plan to put mine in a Zip-lock bag marked "Airsoft batteries-non Lithium."

-Alex

Gh0stRaven
soldier

Post by Gh0stRaven »

axraupp wrote: I plan to put mine in a Zip-lock bag marked "Airsoft batteries-non Lithium."
-Alex
Why so specific with "non Lithium" marking on the ziploc? Are lithium batteries not allowed in flight?
When the rich people make war, the poor people die.
-Linkin Park (Hands Held High)

axraupp
soldier

Post by axraupp »

While reading through the NWA luggage policy, I saw that Lithium batteries are required to be carry-on. This is, no doubt, due to their volatile nature.
Lithium-style Batteries: Spare lithium batteries such as laptop & DVD player rechargeable batteries and lithium metal AA style batteries, are allowed in CARRY-ON BAGS ONLY. These types of batteries are not allowed in checked baggage and may be removed during TSA screening. Prior to going through the TSA security checkpoint, please make sure to place each battery in your carry-on bag in its own protective case, plastic bag, or package; or place tape across the battery's contacts to isolate terminals. Learn more at http://safetravel.dot.gov/.
-Alex

Apannek
soldier

Post by Apannek »

Most airlines now only allow you to carry on the lithium battery that IS CONNECTED TO the device that it is powering (ex: laptop battery) so carrying on Lipos might or might not be an option. That and you never really know what the TSA is gonna do at security despite what the regs/website says :? Then again checking them isnt an option either soooo....catch 22 there.

I have flown to Lion Claws several times with my AEGs and also work for the airlines so i'd be happy to answer any questions you might have regarding travel w/AEGs.
LCVI - FTL 3/2 USMC
LCVII - Echo Squad, Desert Recon
OPI VI - Freedom Fighters 2/4
LCVIII - Alpha 4/1 Recon
LCAD '09 - Rangers
OPRS I - Russians Red3
LCIX - Alpha 4/2 SF
LCX - Alpha Marines 3/1
LCXI - SL Alpha 4/1

Doc Hollywood
soldier

Post by Doc Hollywood »

Here is a well written expose covering all that is travelling with AEGs/Firearms with contributions from several experienced players who travel on a regular basis with both real and airsoft weapons.

http://www.socalairsoft.com/modules.php ... ic&t=22381
[img]http://wardogsairsoft.com/gallery/main.php/d/13722-1/doc_sig.jpg[/img]

Jimmy Wang
soldier

Post by Jimmy Wang »

call me a worry wart, but i dont think i trust my lipo plugged into my aeg while at 10,000 feet in the air. i hope they allow them in carry-on in a protective case. we'll see :?

Animal544
soldier

Post by Animal544 »

leave the in the gun, but dont plug it in?

kogashuko
soldier

Post by kogashuko »

Another thing to consider now is the bag check guidlines. Most airlines now charge $20 to check a bag. This is a particularly troublesome problem for off duty law enforcement that flies and TSA has prohibited ccw on a flight. The AEG part is less of a problem because they are too big to carry on policy or not. However, the $20 fee is per direction and sometimes much higher if you dont do e-check in. I dont know if you can even to an e-check in with a weapon so it might be closer to $50-$100 extra per direction. Finally, do some research about what your airline does about reporting declaired firearms. The bag should not be required to be tagged firearm and should never be searched after the initial check in. If it does get opened or searched talk to TSA and the Airline because it is against federal law. Finally, there was some information on CNN a while back that stated someone checking a firearm in is still recorded as an armed person for the flight. This means really nothing for you initially but has a lot to do with statistics. The airline can use it as a statistic that the flight had an armed person on board (a higher number makes it look like there are more air marshals on board). I dont beleive everything I read on CNN but it is worth looking into. I would hate to think my flight would be passed up for an air marshal because I packed an AEG or other firearm.

Remember TSA is quick to stop something from going on an airline. They seem to be able to do this with little or no oversite. Most of the stuff they take is not against the law but against policy. Airport police tell TSA time and time again that there is no way to charge a person for an item that is prohibited. However, they still get the banned and illegal part confused and if they detain you dont freak out. Just let them do their thing and talk to the airport police officer when they arrive. 9 times out of 10 they will be more knowledgeable and more polite than the TSA person.

Gir
soldier

Post by Gir »

Never had any issues with flying when i flew to Camp Blanding, FL. The guys at the airport thought they were pretty cool at that :) . They just check them, make sure they're unloaded, and make sure they are being transported safely. No issues on my behalf with flying, just plan ahead incase you do run into problems.