Hydration

Operation Bulldog Forum for announcements for and discussing Best of USA Marketing's Operation Bulldog
Pope
captain

Hydration

Post by Pope » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:56 pm

For those unfamiliar with September weather on Ft Hood - it's hot. The Average high is 95 and the record is 112. Its not really a dry heat either.

Make sure you pack in PLENTY of water. Also pre-hydrate. Begin at least 2 days before the OP drinking at least 2 liters of water a day. WATER - not sodas, tea or coffee. Sport drinks are a fine addition to water but not a replacement.

I have searched for years for the perfect hydration cocktail. A boxer friend suggested a mix used by professional fighters and I used it at OP Southern Comfort in 2012 (very hot and humid) and found it very effective. I have used it since.

In a 2 liter hydration bladder:
  • 1 liter of water
    1 liter of coconut water
    5 electrolyte tabs (Camelback or similar)
The tabs will add a little flavor (as well as the electrolytes) and coconut water helps your body hold onto the water.

If you have a similar cocktail - please share it. Whatever works best for you - just be prepared and bring a little extra in case someone underestimates their own needs.
Pope OLCMSS Chief of Staff

OP Bulldog IX (CoS)
OP Irene XIII (PL)
OP Homeland
OP Bulldog VIII (CoS)
OP Irene XII (CoS)
OP Irene XI
OP Bulldog VII (CoS)
OP Irene X
OP Southern Comfort
OP Irene IX

Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

Toadvine
lieutenant

Re: Hydration

Post by Toadvine » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:44 pm

Well said Pope.

I'll make another plea.

Watch out for HEAT INJURY.

Bulldog will involve high temperatures, heavy clothing and gear, and a bunch of out-of-shape old men :D

A good primer on heat injury is here:

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00319

Be sure to be on the lookout for signs of heat injury in yourself and your team-mates.
What have you got that a man could drink with just a minimum risk of blindness and death.

Dark Paladin
sergeant

Post by Dark Paladin » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:31 pm

I have always had good experience with Vitalyte. Not as sugary as Gatorade so it won't make you more thirsty as you drink. As noted in the OP, it does wonders with electrolyte replacement so you can keep going when the going gets tough.

http://www.vitalyte.com/

Can be found at REI or other sporting goods stores.
Its not about how many people I have killed, it is about how I get along with people that are still alive.

Pope
captain

Post by Pope » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:41 pm

I have seen the Vitalyte at REI. I will give it a try this weekend! Thanks for the recommendation.

Toadvine - you are spot on. I am one of those old men. BUT!!! I often see us old guys on the field twice as long as guys half our age and twice as fit. Its always down to hydration. The one that keeps their body in the game - wins the game.
Pope OLCMSS Chief of Staff

OP Bulldog IX (CoS)
OP Irene XIII (PL)
OP Homeland
OP Bulldog VIII (CoS)
OP Irene XII (CoS)
OP Irene XI
OP Bulldog VII (CoS)
OP Irene X
OP Southern Comfort
OP Irene IX

Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

Sparkey
soldier

Post by Sparkey » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:01 pm

Natx Airsoft will have hydration carriers for sale for those that don't have them. I will also have coolers and jugs of water as I am a Water Nazi. I have seen too many kids half my age go down where I should be the first to fall!

If you need water, ask.

Best,

Sparkey
Just some Peckerwood selling Sim Gun in Central and South East Texas!

Dark Paladin
sergeant

Post by Dark Paladin » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:46 am

Sparkey wrote:Natx Airsoft will have hydration carriers for sale for those that don't have them. I will also have coolers and jugs of water as I am a Water Nazi. I have seen too many kids half my age go down where I should be the first to fall!

If you need water, ask.

Best,

Sparkey
Thank you!
Its not about how many people I have killed, it is about how I get along with people that are still alive.

Return to “Bulldog - Military Simulation War Game Exercise with Airsoft weapons”